The Broadcast Engineer services, maintains, and operates all video and audio systems. This position serves as technical liaison with outside television productions facilities, uplink sites, communicates and coordinates with MCR operations staff, Studio supervisor and supervisor of Broadcast Services before and during broadcast events; performs verification testing of all program video, audio, and quality assurance of circuits for continuity and proper operation prior to each broadcast, including system timing and phasing; coordinates with engineering staff at other facilities to verify signal path continuity to its final destination if the program is to be transmitted; monitors all broadcasts, correcting any problems; reconfigures plant switching and patching, testing circuits as programming requirements change throughout the day. The Broadcast Engineer leads day-to-day maintenance efforts as directed under the supervision of the Broadcast Engineering Team Lead
The Broadcast Engineer candidate must have experience with a television broadcast engineering department. A background in digital broadcast equipment, live production and IT is required. This person works closely with the supervisor of Broadcast engineering, Studios team, and Production teams.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Configure facility and production equipment for all news and studio productions
- Administrates procedures regarding transmission distribution of fiber signals, ensuring all content maintains QC during inbound/outbound processing
- Provides input to the Studio Manager during planning process for upgrades of production facility
- Responsible for the day to day operations of all technical equipment including Editing, Graphics, Switchers, Routers, and associated Studio equipment
- Takes ownership of systems and subsystems e.g. routers, communication systems, fiber platforms
- Understanding of signal flow, signal analysis, and test equipment operation
- Interpret and adjust workflows for new and existing equipment operation
- Provide technical assistance in all areas of technical setup in control room, studio and remote locations
- Maintain equipment documentation and preventative maintenance procedures
- Works with Studio Manager and Team Coordinator on scheduling of maintenance windows & maintenance tasks including basic repairs, equipment replacement, cleaning, etc.
- Familiarity with CAD and Visio
- Trains (as necessary) personnel how to operate in-house routing systems, transmissions, feeds and quality control functions such as reading test equipment as necessary
- Install cabling and new equipment as assigned
- Build cables and make connectors for various audio, video, and data cables
- Support production in setting up and maintaining broadcast equipment
- Provides direction to on site Communication Technicians for general studio work, maintenance and upkeep.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including writing standard operating procedures
- Understanding of political/governmental/contractor environment
- Initiative, energy and enthusiasm
- Well organized and able to handle multiple assignments with varying deadlines
- Ability to produce quality products, often on short timelines and with small budgets
- Outstanding customer service orientation including professional presence and superior client relationship skills
- Ability to work effectively with senior management and colleagues in a corporate environment
Education & Experience
- 2-3 years’ experience in television engineering studio operations required
- Experience as broadcast engineer in multi-camera studio and AV environments
- Understanding and experience in live video productions and post-production processes required.
- Associates degree in electrical engineering or telecommunications is preferred
Use the link at the bottom of this page to apply. Please use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari (users may experience issues with Internet Explorer).
Diversity Inclusion & Customer Service Statement
TeamPeople is an organization dedicated to providing superior customer service. Outstanding customer service encompasses everything from performing the technical, creative and operational aspects of our jobs to the best of our ability, to going the extra mile to assist our customers and colleagues in any way.
We respect, value and celebrate the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. We also believe that bringing diverse individuals together allows us to collectively and more effectively address the issues that face our customers. It is our aim, therefore, that our partners, strategies and investments reflect these core values. TeamPeople is dedicated to providing superior customer service and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.